Palak Paneer(Indian Cheese) is Indian Popular dish, which is now popular worldwide. It is favorite to those, who are vegetarian and my both sons love it and even my husband and I love it. In this recipe to keep all nutrients of the Spinach, we’re not blanching the spinach.
This is simply delicious, rich and 100 times better than any Restaurant.
You can eat it in lunch or dinner with roti, Paratha, Jeera Rice and Naan. You can also eat it with Plain basmati rice.
There are many Paneer dishes that people love to eat, but Palak Paneer is most popular. My sons like Sarson Saag also, but they like Palak Paneer a lot and whenever I make it, they eat one one extra chapatis.
Palak Paneer is such a staple in north India and it is one of the most commonly made paneer dishes in Indian homes. I would recommend to give more greens to Kids and especially those Kids, which don’t like to eat any kind of vegetables, so this is the great way by making Palak Paneer, you can give to them. You can also make Paneer Paratha, Mooli wala Paratha(Radish) and so on.
If you like more Garlic, then you can make garlicky palak paneer recipe. But I am adding my own twist to this recipe, because my always aim is to cook any dish in the way, so it don’t loose its Nutrients.
Some people use tomatoes, but others don’t use tomatoes for this recipe. Some use grated ginger, but others chop it. Overall I mean to say this only that everybody has it’s own way to make it.
I will say, it makes no difference, whether you’re grating the ginger or chopping it, whether you’re using tomato or not using tomato at all. The main thing is to not blanch the spinach and do not add so many spices; such as Garam masala etc.
Conventional Method of Making Palak Paneer
In this recipe, they wash the Spinach and then blanch it. First they put the spinach leaves in very hot(boiled) water and then they put these leaves in chilled water. After that they make puree from it and cook it with spices, onions and tomatoes until a thick consistency is achieved. Then they add Paneer cubes and when it is ready, then they add some Cream, so it looks more mouth watering like Restaurants.
In Occasions, blanched Palak Paneer is made and it always there in most of functions.
What is Palak Paneer?
Basically Palak is Spinach in Hindi. To make this recipe, puree is made from spinach with Indian cottage cheese. Some people, fry paneer for this recipe and some don’t fry, they just use as it is. Paneer is an Indian cottage cheese made from milk.
Ingredients for Palak Paneer Recipe
Everyone has their own way of making Palak Paneer and true be honest, I make it in a different way every time I cook it. Actually this recipe is very simple and easy to make.
In this version of recipe, spinach doesn’t loose it’s nutrition value. This recipe is packed with healthy nutrients like calcium, iron and Vitamin C, so this is a meal that Kids love to eat it.
Even you’ll surprise to see and especially when you’ll cook, then only know the really difference that even without blanching the spinach, this dish has a nice green color.
- Spinach: I like to use bunch spinach for this recipe. In this recipe I used one spinach bunch and some baby spinach as well. You could use regular or baby spinach as well.
- Paneer: Paneer is must for this recipe and I used only 150 gm Paneer, which was just leftover from Paneer Paratha. I usually cut paneer in small cubes
- Onions + Garlic + Ginger: In this recipe I used two small size onions, some garlic and small piece of ginger
- Green chilly or Red Chilly Powder: Green Chilly or red chilies could be used, but I prefer not to use. So you can use if you like
- Tomatoes: I used one medium sized tomato in this recipe
- Spices + Salt: I used 1/ 2 spoon of coriander powder, 1/2 Jeera powder, 1 spoon of Oregano leaves, pinch of black pepper powder and Himalayan Pink Salt
- Khara Masala: I used dry roast mustard seeds, Coriander seeds, Methi Seeds and Jeera.
Method of Making Palak Paneer
- Wash the Spinach thoroughly in running water and put in a Steel Kadai and steam it for 2 minutes, you can cover the lid. But don’t use any salt here
- Let the steamed spinach cool down completely and then make puree of it
- Also grind your onion, ginger, garlic, tomato and green chilly(optional)
- You can use the same kadai by washing it again. Now dry roast Jeera, coriander seeds and mustard seeds for couple of seconds. When they are roast, then add grind masala and add 1 spoon cooking oil(Olive oil)
- Stir for 2 minutes and add all spices; such as Turmeric powder, Pink Salt, Black pepper, Jeera powder and Oregano leaves. Stir for 2-3 minutes
- Now add Paneer cubes and stir for 2 minutes again
- Now add Spinach puree and stir, you can also cover with lid and cook it for couple of minutes
- Your Palak Paneer is ready
- Serve it with Roti, Naan, Jeera rice or even with missi roti
- Enjoy and please don’t forget to share the post.